This blog is just about everything under the sun.
It is really my diary....I jot out events that leave
a lasting impression on me. It could be anything; relationships, business, culture...writing provides me a release from everyday stress and I take refuge in it very often. It gives me a lot of pleasure.
Merganser, Bar-headed Goose,and Ruddy Shelduck Chicks pictures from Ladhak, India
Get link
Facebook
X
Pinterest
Email
Other Apps
-
Merganser with chicks, Ladakh
I am sharing some very cute bird pictures (mother and chicks) from Ladakh.
Soma Jha who was in Ladhak recently, clicked these pictures. This was on their drive along Pangong Tso from Lukung to Merak villages. Mirak is in the east of Leh.
These pictures are of the common Merganser carrying chicks on her back, Bar-headed Geese with chicks, and Ruddy Shelduck with chicks .
In the picture below, the one on the right, the mother merganser suddenly decides, 'enough is enough - no more rides' and lets the chicks scatter all around when she rose and flapped her wings:)
You must check out the very brief video of the chicks...there is one chick that is so cute...racing to get a free ride. Hilarious! Nice capture by Soma Jha.
I will share some more interesting pictures from Ladakh in my next post.
Merganser with chicks
Ruddy Shelduck with chicks
Ruddy Shelduck chicks
Bar-headed Geese with chicks, Ladakh
You may be interested in the following posts from Ladakh, India, contributed by Soma Jha:
I first came to know about Bon Bibi while reading Amitava Ghosh's Hungry Tide. In fact, Sunderbans unfolded before me because I read that book. Strange though, I was living in Kolkata for so many yaers but before that I had never had an urge to travel to Sunderbans! And I call myself a travel enthusiast! But seriously, my curiosity about Sunderbans happened only after that. "Hungry Tide" is a great book. I am a huge fan of Amitava Ghosh's books. Since I read that book, I have visited Sunderbans twice and I plan to go there again this winter. The legend of Bon Bibi fascinated me. In Sunderbans, Bon Bibi is the deity everyone prays to before going about their everyday business. She is the protector of the people; she protects the people from tigers. Hindus and Muslims alike, pray to the Goddess. According to the legend, there was a Sufi fakir, Ibrahim who lived in Medina. He was childless. Archangel Gabriel gave him a boon. He had two children, a daughter (Bon B...
Ellora Cave 14, Ravan Ki Khai Today's post is in continuation to my earlier post on Ellora . Caves 14 and 15 of the Brahmanical group may not be as grand as cave 16 , but they are beautiful and you can see some amazing sculptures and carvings in these caves. Cave 14 is called Ravan ki Khai because of the sculpture of Ravana shaking Kailasa (this happens to be quite a popular theme in Ellora.). This cave seems to be dedicated to Shakti worship because there are a number of female deities in this cave temple. A panel on the wall has seven (could not get a good picture). Cave 15 (Dasavatara cave ) is grand. It is called Dasavatara because of the various beautifully sculpted incarnations of Vishnu in this cave. There is a dance hall (Natya mandapa) right at the centre of the courtyard. The ground section of the cave does not have too many sculptures, but the upper level has quite a few sculptures. The first thing that you see in the upper level is Shiva’s chariot, a beautifu...
Jampui hills, Tripura In continuation with my trip report on Tripura....at the end of day one, we set off for Jampui hils from Unakoti . Jampui hills is around 60 km from Unakoti in North Tripura district. Located at an altitude of 3500 ft, it is the highest hill range in Tripura. We stayed at a Government run tourist lodge in Jampui hills. The pleasant weather combined with the sylvan surroundings made for a delightful experience at Jampui hills. This hill station had some very cute looking houses; most of the population in Jampui hills is made up of the Mizo community. The houses were very nicely lit up and decorated since Christmas was just around the corner.We missed the Orange festival by a month, we came to know that the best time to visit Jampui hills is in November. At the end of day two, we halted in a small town called Kamalasagar after a 265 km drive westwards. We stayed at a Government run Tourist lodge (Comilla). Kamalasagar is named after an art...
Comments