Monday, October 22, 2012

Shubha Mahaashtami

Durga Idol at the Goswami Rajbari,
Serampore, West Bengal
Today is Ashtami, one of the most auspicious days of Durga puja. It is believed that Ma Durga killed the demon mahishasura on Ashtami. I can’t believe that it is Ashtami already! Just two more days and Durga pujas will be over:(

I will continue with the Bihar trip report after a couple or more posts of the beautiful Durga puja pandals and idols. There is so much to share!.

I have been out all night pandal hopping on 19th, and on the 21st I went visiting the Raj baris in Hooghly district in the outskirts of Kolkata, some of them celebrating four hundred years of Durga puja.It is unbelievable how much of history is tucked away in these traditional durga pujas in Hooghly district of West Bengal.

I will begin by posting some pictures of the Goswami Rajbari of Serampore in Hooghly. I just love these old houses!

Goswami Rajbari Serampore
Courtyard of the Rajbari


Rooms around the courtyard
Beautiful carving on
the pillar
 

No comments: